Wednesday, February 10, 2016

My Debt

Whaddup Doe?!!?

Hi guys...one of the topics I wanted to discuss up here was debt.  My debt.....is contained but its not something I want to be burdened by any longer.  I say about about 5-7 years ago...financially I was in good shape. My credit score was well into the 700s, I had little credit card debt...and my student loans equaled to about $5,000.  So...an idea came to me....I should try and get my master's...and I was successful for about 5 months. Then bad luck started to creep in.  My grades started to slip...I was in a car accident....and then my laptop was stolen....and I lost my job due to lay off.  So of course to stay a float I started using my credit cards and my student loans started to kick in once I quit school.  So that is where I stand right now.  As it stands today, here is the layout of my debt:

Student Loans: 27,342.18
BOA Credit Card: 4,753.06
Discover Card: 3,180.65
Goodyear Credit Card:1,107.42
Medical Bill for Kaleb: 214.40
Medical Bill for Me: 204.36

I know this is sharing a tad bit more then what I probably need to, but I want to be transparent.  I like reading blogs where I feel like the person is being real and I want to be real.

The immediate plan is to implement Dave Ramsey's Money Makeover/Financial Peace University  principles. I'm well on my way  to having $1,000 saved to start my emergency fund.  The one thing I'm not too sure of is my budget. I have decided to track my expenses for the next 3 months to see how much I spend on certain areas monthly to budget the correct amount.  Even though this may be backwards I have to do what works BEST for me.  I have set a timeline for how I want to tackle this debt with each goal starting after the other is completed.

Goals:
Have medical bills and Goodyear paid off in 6 months.

Have Walmart and BOA credit cards paid off in 2 years.

Have student loans paid off in 7 years(I'm hoping this will be sooner.)


I think I can do this...If I can stick to the plan.  What have you guys done to stay on task? Have you eliminated your debt?


No comments:

Post a Comment